December 08 & 09, 2017
The Boot Camp: The purpose of this Boot Camp is to introduce various salient elements involved in writing a Ph.D. thesis in Social Sciences. The Camp would familiarise you with the composition of chapters in a Ph.D. thesis, the flow, the tense and the construction of arguments, presentation of data and analyses, discussion elements and other elements that make up a presentable thesis for examination.
Camp Modules: The two day intensive Boot Camp consists of five specific modules each spanning 2.5 hours.
- Module 1: Thesis structure, chapter compositions, chapter organisations, content, flow, grammar, sentence and their styles, heading styles, line spacing, margins, and page number formats.
- Module 2: The structure and flow of literature review, the purpose, what is normally expectations in Literature Review, flow & style, argument development, usage of references, identification and presentation of research gap, questions, hypotheses, and development of a conceptual model.
- Module 3: Research Methodology, how to build a convincing argument as to the chosen methodology, quantitative versus qualitative methodological aspects, sample size considerations, considerations for data analyses techniques.
- Module 4: Presentation of data & analyses, discussions, weaknesses, contribution to knowledge, and limitations.
- Module 5: Examination processes, expectations of examiners, how to address examiners’ feedback, how to read between the comments, and refinement to final presentation.
For Whom: The Boot Camp is ideal for researchers, and young research guides in social sciences.
The Facilitators: Professor Raj Gururajan, Ph.D. (Edith Cowan, Australia) is teaching & researching at the School of Management and Enterprise, University of Southern Queensland, Australia. Prof. Raj (http://staffprofile.usq.edu.au/profile/Raj-Gururajan) has more than three decades of profound experience in teaching and research. Prof. Raj has over 15 years of Ph.D. supervisory experience and has successfully seen completion of over 35 Ph.D. theses. The Boot Camp heavily draws upon his research, guidance, and adjudication experience.
Professors, who would be handling sessions through Zoom:
- Professor Patrick Danaher, Associate Dean (Research and Research Training), Faculty of Business, Education, Law and Arts, University of Southern Queensland, Australia (https://staffprofile.usq.edu.au/profile/patrick-danaher)
- Professor Jeffrey Soar, Professor & Chair in Human-Centred Technology, School of Management & Enterprise, University of Southern Queensland, Australia (https://staffprofile.usq.edu.au/profile/jeffrey-soar)
- Professor Donald Kerr, Associate Professor, Faculty of Arts, Business & Law, University of the Sunshine Coast, Australia (https://www.usc.edu.au/explore/structure/faculty-of-arts-business-and-law/staff/associate-professor-don-kerr)
Firebird: Firebird Institute of Research in Management (http://firebird.org.in) is actively engaged in conducting Executive Development Programmes, Business Research & Consultancy, and Management Education. The PGDM/MBA Degree offered by Firebird is actively integrated with industry. Students spend about 35% of programme period in industry and are guided by industry mentors. The is partnering with Professors of many Universities abroad in promoting methodical research studies in social sciences. The Institute has signed up Partnership Agreement with ESSEC Business School, Paris for promoting joint research studies and publication.
Registration: Participation in the Boot Camp can be registered online at http://firebird.org.in. Registration Fee of Rs.2,500 (inclusive of GST) per participant may be paid directly to Firebird’s Bank Account. (Current Account No. 1122 135 0000 11815, Karur Vysya Bank, RS Puram-CBE Branch, IFSC: KVBL 0001122) The Fee covers Course Material and Working Lunch. The payment confirmation No. issued by your bank and the date of payment shall be given in the online registration form.
The registration closes on December 05.
Contact for Further Information:
Dr. Prema Sankaran
Professor & Programme Coordinator
M: +91 96550 21266